Farming

Police catch speeding tractor doing 125mph

By  |

By Rob Banks, Crime Editor

A Suffolk tractor has been caught doing 125mph along the A12.

Farmer Ernie Ecclestone was spotted by police as he raced along the road near Saxmundham.

Ecclestone, 57, admitted he was speeding in his John Deere tractor, claiming he was late for ploughing his field in Theberton.

The extraordinary 125mph speeding tractor is one of the highest ever seen by Suffolk Police.

A traffic cop said: “We had a car towing a caravan at 115mph last summer, but this tractor was really pushing it. Its rear tyres were smoking.”

Ecclestone pleaded guilty to speeding when he appeared before Leiston magistrates yesterday.

But chairman of the bench, Mrs Margaret Ecclestone, let the farmer walk free after issuing a stern ticking off.

She explained: “My husband assures me he won’t do it again.”

Please support my running costs by clicking here and buying me a beer!
Olimometer 2.52

9 Comments

1. David Button.

October 14, 2015 at 1:10 pm

He was lucky to come out if that alive, what with the shoot to kill policy. The Apache helicopter pilot must have been on a tea and dumplins break.

2. Proofreader

March 19, 2015 at 10:23 pm

As a tractor-savvy young lady, I feel it’s my duty to point out your article states Mr Speedy was driving a Massey Ferguson, but your picture shows a green tractor, which everyone who is everyone knows is a John Deere…
    Who knows how many confused readers are at this very moment miss-identifying farm vehicles because of this?!

• Proofreader

March 19, 2015 at 10:27 pm

PS: I do have a life, but Eastenders has finished and I’m pretending to be doing work so I get out of the washing up. Plus, I never liked John Deere’s, they look smug.

• The Editor

March 20, 2015 at 8:17 am

Dear Proofreader,

I thought the same thing, so I asked Ivor Traktor, my Farming Correspondent (Intern), and he insists Ernie Ecclestone was driving a Massey Ferguson but he had painted it green to look like a John Deere.

No idea why as, like you, I think John Deere’s look smug.

They also remind me of Norwich City FC colours, which is never a good thing.

Regards,
        The Editor

3. TM

March 19, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Must be Bernie Ecclestone’s brother!!

• The Editor

March 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Dear TM

Indeed Bernie Ecclestone is Ernie’s brother.

Bernie offered to put up £20 million to ensure Ernie got bail if necessary.

Nice chap, is Bernie. Likes fast vehicles, I hear. Must run in the family.

Regards,
      The Editor

4. Notanipswichfan

March 18, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Are you sure it ain’t a misprint….more likely 12.5 mph …..awkward tractor boys always try and slow the traffic down

5. The Fuzz

March 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Are you sure you are not confusing Ernie Ecclestone with Ernie, the fastest milkman in the west?

• The Editor

March 18, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Dear The Fuzz,

No we’re not. Now get back to catching some criminals.

Regards,